Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmastime

I absolutely hated New York in August. It was so humid and the subways really did feel like walking into the depths of hell, and my only other experience prior to that was our trip in March when it was rainy and windy and cold. So I was starting to worry that I wouldn't like any of the seasons here, but Fall turned out to be quite nice, and Christmastime has been wonderful, so my opinion is improving. Even with work and D's crazy finals, New York City does such a good job with Christmas that I have still been able to feel a bit of the magic.  The first week of December there are tree lightings all over the city. Everyone goes to the Rockefeller tree lighting, but there are many many others. Even Columbia had a ceremony to light the trees along campus walk, and now I get to walk home through an avenue of twinkle lights every night after work. There are Christmas markets and ice skating rinks, and all the larger stores and office buildings have decorated entries. And all the subway musicians have converted whatever they do into Christmas tunes. I love getting out to see it all, but I am so looking forward to some time in the burbs for a Christmas with family and mountains and fewer crowds. Merry Christmas.

My friend heard about a gingerbread contest at the Parker Meridien hotel downtown that local bakeries compete in. The theme was landmarks of the world, and you could pay $1 to vote on your favorite and then the proceeds go to charity.  They were all so clever.



This one isn't really a landmark of the world, so I'll give it some context. During Hurricane Sandy a crane collapsed on 47th, so all the people in surrounding buildings had to evacuate. It became one of the popular news pics for the storm, and has been secured but will take months to take down because of how large it was. 


This is the Union Square Christmas market, and it is 10 degrees warmer as soon as you step into the crowd because it is so packed. 

Campus walk. 

My attempt at Christmas decorations. I truly became a law school widow the night I put up the lights to Christmas music all by myself because D was studying. 



No comments:

Post a Comment