Friday, May 3, 2013

One of those New York moments

Now that it is warm outside, the midtown lunch crowd has returned to Bryant Park. It's a small grassy lawn that takes up half of a city block with tables and chairs all around it, and it may be the best spot to eat lunch in the whole world. Right now there are daffodils and lilacs in all the planters, and in the summer there will be a piano player and Friday night movies. It happens to be right across the street from my building, so I go out there most days to eat lunch.

Since they're regrowing the sod, the big rectangle of grass is roped off, and everyone sits around the edge of the park. A few days ago, this man dressed in a mesh leotard, rainbow tutu, and devil horns decides to take advantage of the free stage and walks onto the grass with a big speaker. The cops followed him on, so he didn't stay for long, but it was just one of those priceless New York moments. There's a sense of anonymity here that makes people lose their inhibitions for good and for bad, and I don't mind at all being entertained by it.


1 comment:

  1. Gee. I feel like I have led a deprived and sheltered life...both with this post and the previous. I think I am a closet hipster; 22 years of Utah Valley having shamed it out of me.

    ReplyDelete