Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mom comes to the Big Apple


I haven't taken this many pictures in a long time, but I spent a solid 4 days touring around with my Mom on her first trip to New York City, so I guess that's what happens. We did a lot of the bigger sites (Statue of Liberty, 9-11 Memorial, Grand Central) but some smaller ones that I had yet to do too (Stone Street, Teddy Roosevelt home, soul food in Harlem). And we capped it all off with a day upstate to visit Sleepy Hollow and the Roosevelt estate. It was weird having two distant worlds collide when I first met my Mom on a very busy 6th Avenue during rush hour, but she had a good time, so hopefully it won't be the last we see of her here.

1000 paper crane chains at St. Paul's church near the 9-11 Memorial
 



I love this angle of Lady Liberty. She looks so powerful, so not to be crossed.
 My mom typically hates having pictures taken of her. I made sure to get a few anyways.
Part of our upstate trip included apple picking--so many apples, so many apple cider doughnuts!!!
 If you're familiar with the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, this is the famous bridge that Icabod Crain tried to reach before he was thumped by the Headless Horseman. Apparently the bridge has been rebuilt 4 times at least since Washington Irving was around, but the effect is still there.

The rest of these are pictures of the Rockefeller Estate, Kykuit. I've found with these big houses the best part is always the grounds. We also weren't allowed to take pictures while inside, so there's that.

My dream house now requires a view like this of the Hudson. The main house is designed with all the big windows looking out this way. Guess that is one things me and John D. have in common.
I've never been so into old cars but now would love a Hotshot. They don't have any doors and are too cute.

1 comment:

  1. glad we did not do it "all" so I will have to come back.

    ReplyDelete