Sunday, September 29, 2013

Movies that changed my life

Movies have become a big part of the New York experience. Between me being exhausted after a week at work and Dane trying to stretch his study hours til 9 or 10 on Fridays, it has become our go to reward at the end of each week.  And with all these movies, we've come across some real gems:

Cinema Paradiso -A real classic with a great film score.
Spirited Away - Caused me to take back earlier sentiments about anime.
Castaway on the Moon - So strange but so well made.
Mud - A Sundance/Cannes D'Or festival film with Matthew McConaughey. You will want to brush his teeth the whole time, but it is a great story.
Big Fish - I don't know how I missed this when it came out a few years ago.
Rare Exports - The newest Christmas family tradition.

So I've never really done this on this blog--usually just sending random thoughts into the void--but today I am asking for a response. After watching Cinema Paradiso last weekend and remembering what great movies can do, we came up with a list of movies we will try to see over the next few years, and I want to add your suggestions. So what movies have been your favorites?  And they don't necessarily need to be top 10 material (this list certainly isn't), just movies that left you thinking about them days after. And then I will watch them and let you know what I think.



5 comments:

  1. Hey Brit and Dane, Peter here.

    One of the best movies I've seen in a while is A Separation. It is pretty emotionally intense and almost completely dialogue and is beautifully filmed. It is the type of film that I feel that I benefitted from more than I enjoyed... if that makes sense. Anyway, there it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Separation

    Best,
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys need to come over & watch "the color of paradise" with us. it's an iranian film & so, so gorgeous. ben & i first watched it at the international cinema at byu & it left me in tears. let's plan it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children of Heaven is amazing. Everything is Illuminated is one of my favorites (there is some language in it though, and it's not a "happy-go-lucky" movie). Have you seen the Liam Neeson version of Les Miserables? It's my favorite by far...it focuses on Val Jean's redemption.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great recommendations. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete